Friday, April 26, 2013

Symmetry and Crosshatching


At times when I am working on a crosshatch image, my mind wanders to the Kabbalah, and the idea of the world as emanations of light from a source.  The main source is simply boundless light, which is somehow set inside of a larger thing, simply called the boundless.  I suppose that the boundless could be the room I am working in, and the boundless light the empty page. Then as I build up layers of hatching over each other, and the body of the image on the page begins to appear, the successive layers reflect an impression of the lower emanations to the source, until we get down to the level of the world. Thinking about drawing in this way means that drawing is a form of prayer, or of meditation that tunes us in to the source - the boundless light which, by its existence, reveals the boundless.  
Or is it just turtles, all the way down?

No comments:

Post a Comment