Sunday, March 10, 2013

Two New Leaves


Here is a pair of faced leaves that I was working on yesterday - this is part of a satellite project to the large volume, that I’m calling “The Dinky Manuscript”because its very little.  
Its nice to take a break occasionally from the bigger volume, if only because the smaller one is unbound leaves and a bit easier to handle.  
This volume is also on a different paper - I’m using Arches white cover stock for it, which has a deep tooth and a highly absorbent surface which just sucks in the paint.  I think there is an earlier  version of the illustration on the left, with less detail, posted few weeks back.  I’m not sure, but I think both leaves have a bit of work yet to go.
I’m calling this particular script, the one that dominates all the volumes I’m working on right now “caligraphic block”.  Its not very ornamental, mostly I’ve designed it for writing quickly as I don’t want to think too much about what I’m writing.  
This entire project is about automatism - making art, writing things on the fly.  Rather than thinking about what I’m writing or painting, I’m writing or painting about what I’m thinking.  I’m creating musical pieces the same way - just making stuff up as I go along.  No rhyme or reason, and if there is a meaning to it, I’ll have to find it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment