Thursday, October 27, 2011

Music

So yeah - the one hour recording session was interesting.  Although I didn't get the album finished in one sitting as I'd planned, I did manage to record a few songs.  I need to dig in and learn a bit more about the software, then try again in a week or two.  In any event, I will make a new album soon.
Yesterday I played a bit with overdubbing and multi-tracking, and realized that it has become a lot easier over the past few years.  Garageband was always a good program, but its been streamlined and designed to be much more intuitive.
I'm trying to un-clutter my music desktop.  I'm putting aside the multiple microphones and mixer, and have gotten rid of my guitar and voice pedals.  I'm working strictly with software now, the only physical input being a Blue Snowball microphone.  The fidelity is good, and with a little tweaking in GB it produces ample sound for acoustic recording.
My idea is that recording an album should be as simple as playing the instrument.  As much as possible, I want to record live in the studio.  You hear what I hear when I'm playing.  Enhancement should be kept to a minimum.  Its fun adding the occasional harmony, and working with plug-ins, but I think one of the reasons my voice has been so problematic is that when I performed I was relying on tools too heavily.  Not hearing my own voice, I started singing unnaturally to try and recreate my natural sound through electronics.  When I sing in a bare room, no amplification applied, the voice seems to even out and regain a lot of its potential.  Its only when I have to start thinking about pitching to the mic that I start to have problems.
Of course, this is just woolgathering.
I want to do a lot more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment