Sunday, October 3, 2010

Hummingbirds

There was a place where the hummingbirds lived, and a place where they drank their nectar and taught their young to fly with the precision of small helicopters. There is no sign there, but the miracle remains to be seen by any who have eyes. Those who cannot see may hear the hummingbirds as they fly close and distant.
  HandsHolding
They make that sound – hum, hum, hum. That’s why they’re called hummingbirds. In the nests of the hummingbirds there are no cellphones or stereos. The talk and music of the world close by is enough for them. They laugh at us with all our tools and devices saying “You don’t need that! Put that down! Look, I have only myself and my wings, and this nectar. I have only what God gave me!” Except of course the ones who are atheists – they say, instead, I have only what I need and I need only what I have. I was hatched this way.” Among hummingbirds, there are often disagreements about who can suck on which flower, but they never argue about religion. They know better than that. And none of them, not a one, is a politician.



No comments:

Post a Comment