Friday, January 24, 2014

Sketch Club app for iPad



For the past year I've been working a lot with digital media, both on my computer and on my iPad - I have a few iPad apps that have been central to that work, including Paper, Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, and Procreate.  This week, I added a new tool to my arsenal.
Its called SketchClub, and its a remarkable little app.
Drawing with an iPad is a very intuitive and simple process.  Paper has allowed me to work with a set of simple and reliable tools.  The tools that SketchClub offers are similar, but there are more tools, they are more customizable, and there is support for working on multi-layered imagery as I do in Photoshop.  This added functionality has been a terrific boost!
SketchClub combines the simplicity of Paper with some of the more sophisticated functions of Procreate and Sketchbook, with the added charm of being equipped with a great online publishing tool and a network of users who share their work, their technique, and their opinions online.  I can even let people watch and comment as I work on an image.
I've been using SketchClub with both finger and stylus - the stylus I've preferred, and the one I used on the above image is the Adonit Jot Pro.  Unlike most of the soft tipped styli on the market, the jot pro has a firm tip, with a clear disk attached that lets you view precisely where you are making your lines.  The tip feels like a pen when it touches the iPad screen too.

No comments:

Post a Comment