Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Page in Progress

detail

So- the work continues.  These leaves have a long way to go.  The figure on the right is nearly done – the original sketch had the man in a ballcap, but as you can see, that grew in the telling.  The apron is back from the image of the man with the mallet, working on a monster’s dental problems from a few months ago.  Of course, in his hand, he holds the Ubiquitous iPad.  For scale, I left my glasses on the left leaf. 

The hands definitely need work, especially the right one – unless I decide that the story demands he have a broken wrist.  I can improve the contours when I start to block in the background.  You can’t really see it in the image, but the surface of the gouache is very glossy – I’ve been using a lot of gum arabic in my mix lately, and the surfaces are very flat and very shiny, almost like delicate oil glazes.  This is in stark contrast to many of the earlier gouache images in the book, which used much thicker paint, show more dimension in the paint buildup, and dry with a matte finish. 
One of the advantages to using gum arabic so profusely is that the colors are stronger with it, so they can be applied in much thinner layers, which also means allowing for much more precise detail, and the marks dry almost instantly, so its easier to overpaint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment