Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mexico in Sierra Vista

I went to the local Golden Corral restaurant for dinner this evening.  I do that once in awhile when nobody else is around.  It reminds me, and not in a pleasant way, of the galley on board a cruise ship I once traveled on.  The ship's galley had good food - as does the Golden Corral.  Its not gourmet food, but it is very good, homey, comfort food.  They even use salt in some of their recipes!  But there was also something about the ship's galley that didn't feel real - as if it was a theme park version of a mess hall.  That's what I was reminded of inside Golden Corral - it was like going to a fake restaurant. But what was really strange tonight is that it didn't seem as if there were any other Sierra Vistans there.  I scanned the parking lot on my way in, and all the license plates were from Sonora, Mexico.  At least, didn't see any US plates tonight.  The people who charged me as I went in were Mexican (and they had the nerve to ask me if I was a senior citizen - me!  With all those years left to go...) and they addressed me in Spanish before they realized their error.  All around me in the seating area, I heard Spanish spoken, except one table where the two men were Chinese and speaking their own language as well. On the PA system they were playing Salsa music, which definitely set a South of the Border tone.  I imagine that I felt tonight as most of the Mexicans who visit Sierra Vista do when theycome here, like a stranger in a strange land, more of a curiosity than a person.  I don't know whether it was the Aloha shirt, or the shaved head, but everyone seemed to know that I wasn't one of them. They looked away as they passed by me.
I did enjoy my dinner in Mexico though.  Very nice, tender pot roast and an ear of very tender corn on the cob.  Driving home into the sunset was a delight, once I got the visor over the windshield to the appropriate level, and started driving in the correct lane (which I couldn't see before that!)
Well, I think if I could go back in time and redo some things, one thing I'd do is sign up for High School Spanish.  I learned German pretty well, but mine has grown very rusty and childish from disuse.  Spanish is a language I could have put to good use - I wouldn't feel so dumb in the presence of the Mexican visitors here who have courteously learned to speak excellent English in addition to their native language.

No comments:

Post a Comment