Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mind at Work Mind at Play

So – the tentative title of the book is "Mind at Work, Mind at Play – an exploration of the human playground" I'm sure I'll come up with a better subtitle sooner or later. It's a good thing though that I haven't made or inserted the title page yet! This morning was marketing time. Ordered a few tees, designed and ordered a few mugs, and wrote a short piece on silly HW movies about princes masquerading as paupers to find true love. The Cinderella story has been with us for so long that we will never escape it, seemingly.

More than anything, I dislike the morality that it portrays. That misrepresenting oneself in the name of true love is okay because essence perceives essence. It that were true, why would the seeker not be able to spot the true love at once, without subterfuge?

Back to day to day notation. I was talking with some people yesterday trying to clarify the point of MAWMAP. The concept of the mind as a playground expressed in a book form is what I've been able to define. Essentially, when I work on the book I'm playing with my mind, using it as a tool of exploration and enjoyment. We spend so much time dwelling on negative thoughts, so little time exploring the mind and finding the ways that it can delight and enrich us. It's the old cliché, that we can't see the forest for the trees, that we can't take time to stop and smell the flowers. When I write, I try to be as free about it as I can. Right now the work is disciplined, because I'm in work mode. But when I open MAWMAP and put pen or brush to paper, the rules are eroded. I was looking at some pages yesterday, and thinking that someone else reading them would think I was nuts. The thoughts are garbelled. I was using and English format, but all the nouns and verbs were nonsense. I laughed a few times reading it, but there is nothing of substance there. Play, plain and simple. The book is an expression of my own innate playfulness, with all its grandiosity, pretentiousness, innocence, arrogance, anger, meanness and tenderness I can muster. The content is irrational and unfathomable – but the process that it illustrates is not. This book is not intended to be appreciated for what it contains, so much as for what it is. Something to be held and looked at, enjoyed hopefully. It is also an exercise in touching the past to some degree. I'm doing something similar to what monks did – but rather than duplicating the thoughts contained in the Bible, I'm creating new thoughts on a minute to minute basis, or playing with images and a juxtaposition of symbols, without working to hard to create associations between those symbols.

No comments:

Post a Comment